(Originally posted June 18, 2014)
A few days ago I was in the midst of one of my meatless days and was in search of something to eat for dinner. I opened the fridge and grabbed some random stuff and low and behold it turned out to be a really delicious combination and has now become one of my favorite go to recipes for meatless days. I have eaten this “Mexican Pizza With A Twist” everyday since either for lunch or dinner. It is quick, simple, and light, you can eat it for lunch, dinner, or a snack. It would even work great to serve to your friends at parties and be an alternative for vegetarians at cookouts. Another great thing about this recipe is it will work for any season, when it’s cold outside dipping it in tomato soup would be a heavenly and in the summer you can eat it with a side salad and nice cold drink.
- Half a piece of cheese (I normally use cheddar but like to mix it up, what kind of cheese is your favorite?)
- Hummus (My favorite is red pepper hummus but there are many different varieties to choose from)
- Turn the griddle on high
- Spread butter on the outside of the tortilla and lay it flat on the grill
- Add cheese, salsa, and hummus
- Let cook for three to four minutes
- Put it on a plate and fold in half
- Add sour cream (yogurt for a healthier alternative), onions, and green peppers on top of the finished product for an extra kick
- If you would like to use this recipe for breakfast just throw some scrambled eggs inside and voila, you’ve got a delicious breakfast burrito
- You could even go as far as adding potatoes, it’s getting a little away from the whole healthy eating thing, but it’s okay to stray a little sometimes
I’d love it if you would try out the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below, along with any likes, dislikes, and suggestions.